Thursday, April 19, 2012
Cheeseburger Salad
You and I both know the Pioneer Woman. She is one quirky, fun lovin gal who still surprises me with some of the recipes she publishes. This one really got my attention because I really want to add more salads to our menu. I thought it might appeal to the guys so I tried it out one night when it was just Doug and I. Result? It's a keeper. I even used some of the leftover meat to make sloppy joe type sandwiches for lunch the next day and they were good as well. I will definitely be making this over the summer when everyone is home. Like PW says it's kinds like taco salad and says she may like it better than taco salad, but please don't tell, she doesn't want to offend the taco salads of the world!
I never seem to follow any recipe exactly so here is her link if you want to go authentic. Below is mine with very minor changes, mostly because I didn't have exactly what she called for. Give it a try this summer!
1 pound ground chuck, browned and drained
1/3 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
2 tablespoons BBQ sauce
2 whole hamburger buns
2-3 tablespoons melted butter
2 hearts of romaine lettuce, chopped
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
2 diced Roma tomatoes
Red onion, sliced, as much as you like
8 dill pickle spears, diced in chunks, I used hamburger pickles...it's all I had but next time will use spears I think it would be even better
After the meat is cooked and drained, add ketchup, mustard and BBQ sauce.
Simmer a few minutes on low to blend the flavors.
Meanwhile, to make the croutons, cube up the buns.
Place bun cubes in a large bowl and toss it melted butter.
Spread croutons on a large baking pan and bake at 400*. Check and stir every 5-10 minutes until croutons are crispy and golden. Remove from oven, set aside.
To assemble salad, layer lettuce, meat, cheese, tomatoes, onion, pickles and croutons.
Dig in!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
whoa baby! this is dinner tonight!!!
ReplyDelete