How lucky are we to get a snow day? Actually it's an "ice" day, so...much...sleet! I should be doing house work instead of posting doughtnut recipes, but this is so much more fun!
These are so simple and really tasty. Oh, they don't compare to a good old fashioned homemade donut, but I promise your family will eat these up and you will be out of the kitchen in no time.
One can of canned biscuits, more if you have a big crew to feed!
Canola oil for frying...I know I hardly ever fry things!
cinnamon and sugar mixture
or
powdered sugar glaze (1 cup powdered sugar, and enough milk to make a smooth glaze, 1-2 tablespoons, mixed until smooth and creamy)
Heat oil in a small saucepan or skillet.
Meanwhile open biscuits and cut a small hole in center to make a doughnut or cut into quarters to make donut "holes".
Dip a slotted spoon into the hot oil, then sit one of the donuts on top of the spoon and gently lower it into the oil. Even if making "holes", just lower one at a time into the oil. It's okay to cook more than one at a time, but to keep them from sticking together, put them in individually.
Watch closely and when browned on the bottom, gently flip over to brown the other side.
When both sides are browned remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
If sprinkling with cinnamon and sugar, do so quickly after removing from hot oil. The mixture will stick better.
If dipping in glaze, simply dip one side then flip over and dip the other. Remove to a plate to let the glaze set a bit, and the excess to drip off.
Tips for cooking the doughnuts...
- Don't get your oil too hot, you want the doughnuts to immediately rise to the top of the oil and gently fry, not brown as soon as you lower them into the oil. Just be careful and adjust your heat as needed.
- Make sure your oil is hot enough...you don't want to lower your doughnut into the oil and have it sink to the bottom.
- Between each set I fried, I left my burner on and just moved the pan off the heat so I could sprinkle with cinnamon/dip in glaze without being in a hurry and it kept the oil from becoming overly hot.
- Don't fret if the first few aren't just right. Canned biscuits are cheap and you can afford a few trial runs before you get it perfected.
No comments:
Post a Comment