Thursday, March 24, 2011

Angel Hair Pasta with Tomatoes, Basil and Garlic

I am bumping this recipe up for Lent, and it now has pictures...hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Here's who we invited to the party, pasta, olive oil, salt and pepper, broth, parmesan, tomatoes, basil and garlic

1 lb angel hair pasta
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried basil, I really like fresh, 1/2 tablespoon, minced
4 tablespoons olive oil
5 cups fresh tomatoes, diced
3/4 cup chicken broth, or vegetable broth during Lent
5 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Start a large pot of water for your pasta, have everything ready to go, this dish goes together pretty quickly.

Cook pasta according to package directions.

Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a skillet. When hot, add garlic and cook for 1 minute.

Add tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until tomatoes start to break down.

Add hot, drained pasta to skillet and toss well. I have found that I don't need all the cooked pasta. This is a good reason to add it to the skillet instead of pouring the sauce over the top. I usually use about 3/4  of the amount called for.

Add chicken (or vegetable) broth and stir. You can add more broth if you need to without compromising the finished product, just don't go overboard!

Transfer to serving dish and top with Parmesan cheese.


even using 3/4 of the pasta, it makes a lot!


*Great dish to use up abundant summer tomatoes.

**Grill some chicken breasts to go with it for a real treat.


Get the good Parmesan, you won't even miss the meat...


This makes a great Lenten dish. I have read that it is okay to use chicken or beef broth when cooking on meatless Fridays, however, I choose to play it safe and use vegetable broth. I bought vegetable bouillon and it works great! This is also good during the summer when the tomatoes are fresh from the garden, and you grill up some chicken breast outside to serve with it......heavenly! 

No comments:

Post a Comment